Pages

Monday, November 9, 2015

They just don’t mix

It’s a well-known fact that there are 4 oceans on our planet: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic. I’m not a fan of dry facts, so my geographical knowledge or whatever you call it stops here. To be honest, I’m not that into science at all, and I didn’t go to the college. I admit that it was a mistake, so in an attempt to make it up to myself I became a student of a local art school. It’s a small school, more of an open course kind.  Anyways, despite my lack of education, I got hooked on the beauty and mystery of water surface and became obsessed with the Ocean. Not a long time ago I saw this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Gibraltar and remembered that I’d heard something like that before, which totally that blew my mind. The waters of Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean meet in the Strait of Gibraltar but don’t mix. It was a mystery for a long time until scientists discovered that the nature of that strange phenomenon was the difference of water density and salinity. That’s why two water masses create this gorgeous line with two different shades of blue to its both sides. There are a lot of negative critics to such an explanation but it works perfectly well for the humanitarian brain of mine. Plus it looks beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment